Thursday 30 November 2006

Pestle and Mortar

Thursday evening already and I seem to have spent more time behind the wheel than in front of the stove. Together with all the medical trips, dental trips and premature departures, I could be forgiven for a little paranoia; for wondering if there is a conspiracy to keep me out the kitchen, or why Tan Hiriko needs inoculations, or Ajahn Abhinando his teeth looking at. “Is it my vege-stew?” “Is it my bread?” When our friend Maureen arrived with her mortar board I couldn’t help conclude she was dropping a hint to that effect. What ever next? Caretaker Richard bringing his power tools to the meal? Sometimes, it’s difficult to get things just right; either the bread’s half baked or its ‘crusty’ enough to challenge vows of harmlessness and I’m left thinking I should stick with the driving.

Though perhaps I do myself a disservice… Maureen’s-mortar-board was, after all, of the academic variety. It was fitting therefore, that a day or two later we were visited by a group of young religious-studies students from York, who cooked and offered the meal. Well… there was nothing half-baked about their home-bake. Their questions afterwards were pretty good too.

That was on the Tuesday. The next day saw a Sri-Lankan/Thai co-operation in the kitchen. Sompong and Hall, two of our Wednesday-regulars, brought their grandson Liam with them – an inquisitive and likeable young lad who took great delight in the mains water failure prior to washing up. “You didn’t. Did you?” he exclaimed as I told him I’d informed Northumbrian Water we had “a young boy here, desperate to get stuck into a pile of dishes, and where is our water?” I really ought to be more careful with my precepts (as well as those Ikea drinks glasses).

…Mortar, mortar-boards, pestle and mortars. I could continue the theme with talk of Samanera Nanamoli’s power-porridge, but no one would believe me after last Sunday’s Dhamma talk: Everyone thought the Ajahn was suggesting the reality is preferable to the concept, but maybe he was just pointing out the difference. You’ll have to come and see for yourself won’t you?

If you do, perhaps you could keep in mind our need of the following:

  • Soya milk
  • Long life milk
  • Tomatoes
  • Brown rice
  • Tahini

And the fact that we have plenty of salt, instant coffee, white rice, towels, soap and toothbrushes.

Rumour has it that the stores-master would also find the following useful:

  • Stamps (any value)
  • Fire wood
  • Teak oil
  • Danish oil
  • Microporous sticking plaster
  • Old newspaper (for fires)