Thursday 14 December 2006

Silent Veggies

Following last week’s blog there was a welcome flood of root vegetables into the larder. Which is a good job too because I’ve just dropped our only resident Swede at the airport. Anagarika Arne joined us from Amaravati in the summer and leaves us now, taking his computer wizardry and his gentle appreciative eye with him. That’s a shame, but we wish him well. Neither is it our only loss. On Monday, Samanera Ñanamoli temporarily leaves us to spend the winter retreat at Chithurst. Now Samanera Ñanamoli is a sharp cookie, with his skilful finger in a few pies. But no role of his is more important (except perhaps as the Ajahn’s attendant), than that of breakfast master. So it’s been with interest and some anxiety that I’ve followed his recent transmission of the power porridge lineage to our new heir Anagarika Radek – good luck Radek and keep it thick.

In his new job, Radek will no doubt notice that I labelled the chopping boards this week. Not just because it’s been silent either – but also to avoid any future confusion between pineapples and onions. I labelled one board “for veggies only” thinking that to be unambiguous, until I later realised it might not be a wholly appropriate instruction in a monastery kitchen. Time will tell. At any rate, I know what I mean, so with me doing most of the cooking this past week, the community has, I think, been fairly safe.

One other event of much greater import: Today our office manager, Penny, and one of our committee members, Nick, were married in Scotland. Knowing therefore that she wouldn’t be here, and to mark the occasion, she offered all the ingredients to prepare and offer a meal on their behalf. I wondered to myself as I cooked whether they were enjoying haggis, neaps and tatties on their wedding day, but I suspect not. We wish them well.

…No, we are not in desperate need of tatties, neaps or haggis. Though the following would certainly be useful:

  • Fruit
  • Cheese
  • Long-life semi-skimmed milk
  • Turmeric, garam masala and ground coriander.

Not edible, but also of use to the stores master would be…

  • Stamps (any value)
  • Fire wood
  • Danish Oil
  • Teak Oil
  • Tough scrubbing brushes for the floor
  • AA batteries

Thanks, but we’ve plenty of the following:

Toothbrushes, salt, instant coffee, towels, soap.