Tuesday 22 July 2008

Ajahn Abhinando's Letter

Dear Friends,


I am back at the monastery, as expected, relieved by 1 kidney and 1 tumor and slowly growing together again. The Freeman hospital once more proved worthy of its excellent reputation. I was deeply impressed by receiving and witnessing so much kindness and down to earth compassion being applied by so many doctors, nurses and other staff in a very appropriate and professional manner in such a short period of time. So, it might sound strange to you, but, in spite of the physical discomfort and well, (say it:) pain, it felt like a very worth while and beautiful experience to go through. I will remember many of the people at the hospital for a long time and be immensely grateful to them.


Also my surgeon lived up to his professional reputation. The operation wasn't without its risks, but as far as I can know (and everyone says) he steered clear of all obstacles and did a perfect job, taking his time (4h) to stitch me up beautifully (got the interestingly shaped scar of a "Mercedes-Incision" big enough for a cesarean birth now).


I contributed my part, by healing up quickly and without complications so far. So everyone is content.


I was received beautifully back here at Harnham and am looked after with much care and dedication by my fellow samanas. A second thing I am very grateful for and will equally remember for a long time to come. (Hey! - maybe all this might even help me become a better person myself).


I am going to hide for a while now and won't be available for contact in person or by phone for – say – a couple of weeks. Feel free to write though. I felt and feel tremendously supported by all your many messages of friendship and support. Now there's the third thing I am immensely grateful for and which I shall not forget. It's good to have friends!


I probably won't send out another collective email as I expect that there won't be anything dramatic to communicate while I slowly claw my way back through convalescence over the next couple of months. If there is, of course, I'll let you know. Otherwise, well, I guess you'll just notice more and more of me being around again...


See you later then,

and may all the blessings and protections of the Dhamma be with you all the time,


Abhinando